Steps to gaining competency in delivering the Blunden Responsive GeMSS Method
After registering interest in training in this method, supplying details of your qualifications and completing the payment, those wishing to deliver the GeMSS Responsive intervention method must follow the following process either online or by attending and completing a workshop.
- Prior to assessing, diagnosing and treating sleep problems in this age group, it is imperative to read the Pre-reading Manual. It is necessary that you read “The Sensible Sleep Solution: a guide to sleep in your baby’s first year” and “The Boss of My Sleep Book” to complete this Module. Links and resources presented in the Pre-Reading Manual are also recommended reading.
- View the video of Module 1.
Further reading is available on:
- Undergo a brief assessment of the acquisition of knowledge about sleep in infants and young children. The assessment will be based on the readings, including the optional readings and the video presentations. You will submit your assessment online and it will be assessed by the GeMSS team for 85% pass rate. Participants will be notified if they need to redo their assessment before they can progress to the next module.
- Systematically go through the Treatment Manuals for both Infants and Toddlers. Purchase and reading of the Boss of my Sleep Book and the Sensible Sleep Solution is expected (see below for costs) as the manuals DO NOT cover the detail of information necessary to understand the GeMSS method. Assessment tasks will include questions from each of the books.
- View the video of Module 2a (Infants) and 2b (Toddlers).
- Undergo a brief assessment of acquisition of knowledge about the GeMSS sleep intervention method in infants and young children, either online or at the workshop. You will need to achieve 85 % pass rate to continue onto the next module. You can repeat the assessment as many times as you wish in order to achieve that goal. The assessment will be based on the readings, including the optional readings and the video presentations. Participants will be notified if they need to redo their assessment before they can progress to the next module.
- View the final video of Module 3.
- Complete the final assessment for certification to be complete
- You will need to achieve 85 % pass rate to continue onto the next module. You can repeat the assessment as many times as you wish in order to achieve that goal. Participants will be notified if they need to redo their assessment before they can progress to the next module.
- Issue of certificate of competency in the GeMSS method and registration with the GeMSS license holder registry.
Ongoing professional development
Registered and qualified practitioners of the GeMSS method will be made aware through email contact of new research findings and new information. A yearly licence fee (see cost) will cover any new training materials necessary to keep GeMSS practitioners up to date with the latest evidence based sleep information relevant to sleep intervention delivery.
Cost of training
The cost of the training is AUD $895.00. This includes:
- Membership of GeMSS license holders (AUD $75.00 /year)
- Pre reading manual
- Copies of five seminal academic papers on the GeMSS method
- Infant treatment manual
- Toddler treatment manual
- Marking and re-marking of assessment one, two and three.
- Ongoing access to three training videos presentations of Professor Blunden
- Certificate of completion
- Ongoing support
It does not include:
- The cost of The Boss of My Sleep Book AUS $27:49
- The cost of the Sensible Sleep Solution infant book AUS $29.95.